Me

Me
So happy

Friday, May 22, 2009

Very succinct blog

I don't have much time, as the internet cafe is now closing, but here is a few random thoughts. Firstly, I am not ill with traveling sickness anymore, but I developed a cold instead, I think my body is shot because I hardly eat and I sleep very little. I love teaching at the orphanage, I teach several subjects at several grade levels and often have little to no time to prepare for my lessons. Corporeal punishment is still very much the norm in this orphanage and in other Kenyan schools, it seems that teachers want to be feared. I love the work that Dave and I are doing. Tomorrow morning some volunteers are renting a van and driving to eastern Kenya to visit a internally displaced person camp and to drop off food that we purchase for the refugees. The refugees are a result of the massive post-election violence that swept Kenya a year ago. I am so excited to go, I want to know more about the people that I am fighting for back in the states.

Last night the volunteers all went dancing at Black Diamond club until 3 am and then I volunteered at 8, we had too much fun that's for sure. I'll write much more when I get some time, maybe Sunday or some such. I keep very busy, mostly with teaching, walking, and hanging at Nukamatt or just socializing/reading the Dalai Lama back at the Host Family's place.

I am having a blast despite my occasional hunger pangs. And there is definitely more beggars here than SLC despite my prior claim, it saddens me to say the least. I feel very humble and very happy.

From Kenya with some sweet dance grooves,
Cameron

3 comments:

  1. Cam we are very proud of you and all you are doing to improve Africa in your own way. We love you very much and pray for you daily. Stay strong and we hope you feel our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Cam, feel the love! And make sure Dave feels it too- you guys are pretty freakin' awesome! Something to request though, do you have any specific stories of some of your students or the people you talk to? We'd be glad to hear it!

    Peace,
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach, the 1st thing that comes to my mind is when I chatted with a local university student. She told me that basically a student there must study business to get a job- the tourism industry is shot after last year. She hopes to make it to America to study. Everyone seems to have a shop down here- she explained that it is either do that or face hunger or worse.

    Hope that helps- I'll add more stories as I think of them.

    ReplyDelete