Me

Me
So happy

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Mzungu amongst the masai

Hey friends,

So, I was the first amongst my cohorts to experience the dreaded Mzungu curse, otherwise known as food poisoning. The last two days have been spent in a dreadful revlery to say the least- awful awful!! However, Monday I began working with orphaned school children at Mama Tunsa's orphanage. This orphanage is extremely cramped, overcrowded, understaffed and lacking in proper sanitation. I don't think that many natives of the United States or other western nations can fathom learning in such conditions, it is remarkable and humbling. It is of note that the children are cheerful and eager to learn, they seem to enjoy participating in class.

The school/orphanage is chaotically run, with classes starting at random times and many students not attending most of their classes at all or filtering in late. I had the oppurtunity to teach fifth grade english and 9th grade science class; I found this thoroughly fulfilling. The students were receptive to the slightly incorrect and outdated curriculum, personally I was just happy that they were receiving any education. I know from my experience, and from relevant research, that education is the necessary impetus for a happy and succesful life. I am very excited to get back to teaching tomorrow- I will be a teacher for the next 3 weeks!

So, the last few days have been rather undramatic, mostly sickness- I think I have lost several pounds, I look terrible skinny. I ate my first real meal in 2 days today and reflected that 3 students at that aforementioned orphanage would be satiated by my single meal- it was sobering. I feel like I am starting to connect with these people- I love their enterprising spirit- there are numerous little shops, even in Africa's larget slum-Kiberia, I enjoy their friendliness and even their extreme curiosity at my white skin and ever growing hair/beard. I have come to to truly recognize the common humanity shared by everyone, we all want to avoid suffering, we all want happiness and we go about our lives in pursuit of that objective, and sometimes we may do silly or hurtful things to achieve that goal.

For all of the poverty, begging is no more prevalent than in salt lake city, though my white skin makes me an instant target- it is hard to explain to them that I am not rich. This weekend The guys and I are going to an internally displaced person camp in Kenya to give food to the people there who were displaced by the recent election violence in this country. The weekend after that we are going to Uganda to visit a refugee camp and distribute food.

I love being here, I love serving, I am so happy. I hope all of you discover the joy of service for yourself- I know many of you have!!! The food is mostly good, I enjoy the beans with cabbage and rice, and the mango drinks/avaro sodas. Fast food is still ever present and the showers are brisk, like a dip into a subarctic lake.

By the way, Mzungu means non-black individuals- it is a common slang leveled at me and my caucasian colleuges.

Hope you all are STANDing for something good these days.

From Nairobi with hope and optimism,
Cameron

2 comments:

  1. I love you cam,
    you are doing an amzing thing,
    i am so happy for you..
    i hope that one day i will be doing the
    same as you are now.
    i miss you and care about you,
    love you,

    lots of love from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, don't shave your beard until after you have taken several photographs of it. I want to see you in your maximum hair-based glory! On another note, I'm glad that you're starting to teach and I'm sure you're doing an awesome job! Keep us up to date on the awesome kids and their spirit!

    ReplyDelete