Me

Me
So happy

Monday, May 25, 2009

Disheartening

Friends/Family,

Today I witnessed something that broke my heart and tested my resolve. One of the head teachers at the school I volunteer at was caning (beating with a stick) all of my students quite severely on their little legs, arms, and butts. I was supposed to teach 5th grade English at 820 am, but was told to wait as the beating progressed- the cries of the children were audible as the cane fell on their beautiful black skin again and again. I caught the eye of one student as she cried in desperation, a courageous act in an of itself, because crying is punished at this school. I immediately called a more seasoned volunteer about the situation, she sympathized with me, but informed me that the practice of caning was widespread throughout the Kenyan education system, this revelation horrified me. An entire generation suppressed by fear. She also mentioned that corruption and violence permeated that school and others like it. Dave and myself discussed the issue with a seasoned teacher who listened and agreed with our non-violent suggestions, but spoke of a long-standing tradition of instilling fear in students to maintain their obedience.

For now, Dave and I will work within this corrupt system to try to enact change from the inside. There is a lot of work to do, but I believe in the power of education in changing minds and softening hearts. I have faith in the ability of mankind to change, I won't relinquish this belief.

Other than this, I am looking forward to the trip to Uganda this weekend to bring food to Ugandan refugees. I am heartened by the fact that 2 people have already offered to donate; I hope more step up as well. You can donate through paypal by entering my email: weberstatestand@gmail.com.

Thank you!!

If you have any suggestions as to what I blog about please tell me.

With hope,
Cameron

3 comments:

  1. Cameron,
    This is completly terrible i cant bare to hear these hurtful thigs..
    i am so happy for you,
    i want to follow in your footsteps soon.
    i love you so much,
    PLEASE be careful!

    i miss you so much,
    and love you i cant wait to
    see you at home again,
    I LOVE YOU BROTHER.

    Love your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man this is terrible. It is hard to even wrap my head around these things, and I think many here are terrified to think about it. About the donations, however, I am a bit confused about how it works. If there is an easier way to access the paypal thing let me know, because I'm not sure I know where to type in that e-mail and all. I'm sure others would be glad to donate a few bucks if they know how to easily donate it. I hope you both are safe. Tell David I love him very much and I hope you two take tons of pictures!

    -Ann-Marie

    Be safe please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I am stuck with that profile name via myspace, and ranna being a jokester. It was not my idea.

    I love you both!

    ReplyDelete