Me

Me
So happy

Friday, June 5, 2009

"Your name is God here..." The last blog

Friends/Family,

This is my last blog in this multifaceted and always surprising country. I know
that I am going to miss it- especially the children, with their optimistic attitudes and indefatigable smiles. I feel that this was one of the most profound experiences of my life- I was able to serve other human beings nearly seven days a week while spending time with wonderful people: humanitarians, compassionate individuals- all valuable and memorable friendships.

So, the IDP camp project was a huge success in a very unexpected way. We recruited a total of 13 volunteers, not including our drivers, to go to an IDP camp called Vumilia, which means perseverance- an appropriate sobriquet without a doubt. We planned on distributing food, which we did, and setting up a car wash, the latter of which we decided against after meeting with village elders. We decided, after laborious negations, to buy a large plot of land and help finance a mill for grinding Maize, Corn, into flour. This mill will be better because the car wash industry is saturated in that area, but mills are needed- so there will be more of a market for the Maize. The land we purchase will also be used for future businesses and other projects that will help lift the camp residents out of their poverty. Altogether, the project will cost $3,333 or 250,000 ksh, which is manageable- we negotiated a 3 payment schedule beginning in two months time, if we can guarantee ourselves that we can raise all of that money- which I am confident that we can easily do. Basically, the mill is the result of many hours of negations with camp elders, locals, and within the group. I received at least $358.19 from my paypal account drive- thank you all for donating.

Distributing food at the camp was a little bit different from last time, as it was in the dark and we had more volunteers. The camp, which was heretofore divided, united together to get the food without our prompting- a major victory in itself! We distributed a similar amount of food as last time and gave clothes, bottles, and other necessary items to the residents. A man came up to me as I was tearing paper to give to residents to use as a jerry-made bowl. He said I looked like Jesus and called me such (this comment is very common around Kenya- I've been called Jesus many many times). He then asked my real name and i told him. He responded by saying that "your name is God here." I was really touched and humbled- it gives strength to the old axiom that food is God to starving people. After distributing food we retired for a night at a local hotel, which was much better than any American motel 6. We stayed up late, burning the midnight oil. I am going to miss the volunteers here, I feel like we have become friends in this short amount of time. In the morning we engaged in all of the aforementioned discussions.

Another memorable and fulfilling moment occurred today at Tunza's orphanage. I saw another "caning" episode where several children were beaten on their hands for a seemingly insignificant offense. I immediately set up a meeting with the head teacher. Dave and I talked with the HT about the dangerous effect that corporeal punishment has on the mental health, educational achievement, and motivation of the affected children. We explained that children will learn to be more aggressive, less compassionate and empathetic and more inclined to fear the school at which they were beaten. We continued to explain that such a act was found repulsive by volunteers and that it is harmful to all parties. The head teacher promised to abolish the practice and to discover better disciplinary methods to utilize. We repeated this call to the head master of the school who echoed the same lines, excepting that he left room open for extreme cases. I was heartened by the talks and I have hope that the 2 gentlemen will follow their word and help end this horrendous practice. Today was my last day teaching- I miss the kids already, especially Jane and Class 5.

I can't explain how beautiful it was at the IDP camp- the scenery is breathtaking. I felt completely at peace, gaping at the sheer unfathomable grandeur of unblemished nature and the eye-straining fields of Maize that swayed proudly in the strong wind. I felt that I could do this work the rest of my life and be incredibly happy. I should apply for the UNHCR, I know that I would love it. We also had the chance to stop by Lake Naviasha and watch the sun set behind the color-imbued clouds. I have a strong sense that there is a persistent and complex spirit that resides amongst these people, may it not be swept away in violence again.

I am now going home to help fund raise further for the Maize Mill and work on STAND projects. I have been galvanized further by this trip and I hope that my energy will rub off on some other grassroots activists. There's so much to say, but myriad words can never get close. I am changed. To what? I am not sure. All that I know is that I want to keep serving and that I know have more insight and knowledge to do so.

With hope and gratitude,
Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment