Me

Me
So happy

Friday, June 26, 2009

Remember Neda





Hey everyone,

Yesterday I attended two different demonstrations. I will talk about both individually.


1) The first rally was facilitated by High Road for Human Rights, an organization founded by a man I respect greatly, ex-SLC mayor Rocky Anderson. This rally was dubbed a "Torture Accountability Day." The turnout was moderate, some 50 or so people, and several organizations were represented, including Amnesty International, a personal favorite of mine. I felt that the rally started badly from the beginning, with some off-balanced sbelting of a selection of unfamiliar hippy ballads. The rally was then continued by a speaker who rambled considerably before narrowing down to a fragmented main point regarding the Geneva Conventions. The main issue I had with this rally was that, at least to my perception, the entirety of the responsibility for the crimes of torture were being heaped upon the shoulders of America alone. I felt that international instances of torture should've been discussed as well. Little will ever come from attacking only domestic policies without examining the truly global interconnectedness of problems. We must fight domestic torture as much as the torture of peaceful protesters in Iran and Sudan. I also objected to the attacks on George Bush, because such a tactic is not only pointless, but very well may be contra fitting to the objectives that the rally is trying to achieve- a unified stance against torture. A cause, even a noble cause like ending torture, will never resonate with the general public, if that cause is portrayed as divisive. A great deal of Republicans and Democrats alike do not advocate torture and such a stance should be spotlighted instead of spotlighting the schisms that may exist. I didn't stay for long, so I can't vouch for possible turn-arounds that may have occurred later on.

2) The 2nd demonstration was a mourning demonstration for the peaceful protesters that have been killed in Iran. Some 30-40 individuals gathered by the roadside at Liberty park to raise candles and their voices for the unyielding protesters a world away in Iran. Chants of "freedom for Iran" and "democracy in Iran" were repeated throughout the evening. Young children lead the chanting at times, their bodies clad in green bandannas and armbands, supporting the revolution. The rally was exclusively Persian excepting the friends that I brought with me. Our Persian brothers and sisters were exceptionally welcoming, several people approached me and shook my hand, saying thank you on behalf of all Persians. I told each of the individuals who approached me that it was my honor and privilege to be there, and it was. This was the 2nd rally of the week for this cause, the third is to be held Saturday from 11-2 at 2100 south and State. I am committed to raising my voice for the protesters until another election is held, in which transparency and fairness abound.
Thanks for reading,
Cameron





No comments:

Post a Comment