Me

Me
So happy

Monday, June 8, 2009

Kibera slums: a recollection

Readers,

I thought that I had to tell about my last day in Kenya and the life-changing experience that occured. Life-changing is a term that is over used and is far past the point of cliche- however, this time I must say I mean it. On the last day of my volunteer trip in Kenya, Saturday, June 6th, several volunteers and myself bought hundreds of bananas at 5 ksh each and distributed them to individuals in the Kibera slum. The Kibera slum houses 10 million people in a space of approximately 15 miles. We hardly witnessed the tip of the iceberg, or in this case, the most immense poverty that I have ever imagined. Kibera has been dubbed the largest slum in Africa and it is horrible in its size and its very nature. Each "house" is made of sticks and mud and is cramped next to another similar "house." Open sewers cut a path through mounds and mounds of garbage and human excrement. The smell is overpowering and I can imagine that disease is rampant there. Children and adults alike snatched the bananas eagerly from our hands- it is appalling to see starvation at its most horrid apogee. Flies and mosquitos, encouraged by the refuse, swarmed by the thousands around us as we walked horror-stricken. I remarked that the slums reminded me of the Christian notion of hell- I can imagine no worse condition on this Earth.

I can never view poverty or wealth the same. Most remarkable, is the fact that 10 million people live that poverty and have to deal with it and survive and maybe even have a happy life- that is a courage that I shall never quite know. I will post pictures as soon as I get them. I hope you all feel fortunate for your wealth, whatever degree it is, I know that I do.

I write this blog to open up eyes and hearts, but most importantly, to paint a picture of the greatest strength and courage one can fathom, found amongst Hellish conditions.

May any of us contain a portion of their courage and drive.

With humble optimism,
Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment