Me

Me
So happy

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Progressive props for Huntsman

Readers,

Yes, I will use this opportunity to lavish some rare praise for a Republican candidate for President (don't get used to it!). I watched Fmr. Governor Huntsman's Announcement for the Presidency this morning and was struck by his tone of civility. Huntsman, a once- Governor of this deep deep fringe-red state, has often struck a liberal tone on social issues: embracing civil unions, the expansion of health care to underserved Utahns and 'Carbon Cap & Trade'. He has since shied away from these 'liberalisms' if not completely turned his back on them (embracing the Paul Ryan plan and other fringe ideas). But, back to his speech.

Huntsman spoke of returning to civility and (jaw-dropper here) said that "I respect the President" and said that he wanted to run on a platform of 'who would be a better President, not a better American' (paraphrase). I was heartened and impressed by this civility. I love and value passionate, even raucous, debate, but I am so tired of the oversimplifications and sensationalism that characterizes political discussion. Do I believe that Obama or Boehner hates America and wants to see babies cry? No. Do I believe that Paul Ryan wants to kill seniors with his bare hands? No. Do I believe that the GOP 'austerity for everyone, but the rich' policy is bad for our country...YES!.

I like Hunstman's return to civility. I hope he also returns to his embrace of a moderate platform. Either way, Obama will win in 2012. YES WE CAN.


Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. On the real man! If a Republican were to win the election, I would be happiest if it were someone like Huntsman. That said, I'm still pretty confident that Obama will be victorious no matter who they nominate- the man is just way too smart for most folks to handle. Obama 2012!

    ReplyDelete