Me

Me
So happy

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Back to the grind

Friends (a ramble will ensue),

I have decided to kick-start the old blog again. I feel creatively and intellectually stymied as of late, so I hope this will galvanize that snow-buried spark. I visited the World Refugee Day event at Granite Peaks High School today and again marveled at the hidden diversity in Utah. I am simply heartened at the gathering, which brought together peoples from all walks of life and all corners of the globe. I wish more of the outside community knew about these events, and truthfully, cared to attend these events. We have so much to learn from other cultures, i.e. 'American Exceptionalism' is not "The End of History", but a good and imperfect effort to capture that mis-guided ideal. I say mis-guided, because I don't believe that we can ever stop in our quest for moral and socio-economic 'greatness' (and our system is surly not the end). We can never stop striving to improve the lives of others, for once we do, we have unknowingly regressed to barbarism.

I digress, and move on to another topic. As my friends know, I am fascinated by all things political. I enjoy watching the master rhetoricians (a euphemism for liars and poet-salesmen) engage in their craft. I find it fascinating that the GOP can convince voters time and time again that its platform is commensurate with the hopes and aspirations of the middle and lower classess (while eviscerating the programs and institutions that support said groups). I squirm uncomfortably when another straight-faced tuxedo tells the American people that he/she wants to cut taxes on the unfathomably rich to benefit them (the 'others'). Or, when that same millionaire attacks food stamps and aid to pregnant women in the name of the ALL-MIGHTY DEFICIT! This same DEFICIT is not appeased by raising some taxes on the wealthy (or on oil companies) and is definitely not appeased by closing some of our many military bases or by scaling back our fruitless wars on drugs. No, this DEFICIT is pleased only vis a vis the suffering of the middle class and poor.

Anybody else think that it is not right to throw the poor under the mighty-bus of the DEFICIT? Now, we should not persecute the rich for simply being rich-many even give half of their incomes to charity-but we should and can and must ask them to pay their fair share to the wonderful country and the wonderful people who made their riches possible. I am speaking of a return to true PROGRESSIVISM! I will state, for the record (as diminutive as it is), that the congress can and should and must raise my taxes to close the deficit. The congress must raise my neighbors taxes and must (especially) raise the taxes of my wealthy friends and colleagues in Fruit Heights and in the Avenues. It is patriotic to pay your fair share. It is patriotic to push for equality. It is class warfare to keep attacking the poor and the middle class to keep the top 2% infinitely more rich than the bottom 98%.

Moving on. I am gleefully awaiting New York's adoption of Marriage Equality, aka Gay Marriage. There is no strong argument against marriage equality. Selectively quoting archaic words to justify hatred will never win the day. Human Rights can not be denied for long (relatively speaking here) and at the end of the day, humanity will be one step closer to realizing true human kindness and compassion. We can not be a truly moral nation when we deprive individuals of their right to equality and the equal pursuit of happiness.

On another note, I am in the process of learning Swahili and French (still nascent). I hope to be a strong linguist as this is one of the best ways to open up myself to the world and to help the most individuals. Every time that I forget about the paramount nature of service, I forget my reason for living. Service and compassion (the same concept) are the zenith accomplishment of the Homo Sapien. I am humbly trying to advance that great legacy, but I have stumbled too many times. I am heartened (and re-motivated) by the selfless individuals I see around me daily.

Thank you all and sorry for the word salad ramble.

Best,

Cameron Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment