Me

Me
So happy

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Like the Ganges

It's hard to comprehend how a setting so serene isn't as the Ganges, healing upon exposure

This place is wordless-not that there’s not any music, or singing, but the camp as a living, breathing, cohesive entity is beyond the finite capability of words. These people have not chosen to live at this camp which is resting solemnly in close juxtaposition to the Great Rift Valley-an expansive savanna. But I am soaking up their smiles; their warmth-it still sickens and flummoxes me to think that these same people were victims of an ethnically driven war not too long ago. So much work was exerted to get here, can’t believe it’s finally here. Gina and I bought textbooks for primary school children, soccer supplies and a great deal of supplies for us and for future volunteers in the region. I am nothing but smiles as my day comes to a close…And I awoke to a new symphony today-bleating sheep, braying donkeys, gargling goats-the staples of an IDP camp.

The most disturbing thing about this place is the near constant wailing of babies in the nearby shanty houses-I wonder if they cry for hunger or health as so many of them evidence signs of sickness. I was proud to wake up to the inverse UNHCR logo on our giant blue canvass tent, i.e. our home sweet home. There is enough room for Gina and I, but it is hard to imagine that whole families (and chickens) lived here not too long ago. Most of the camp residents now live in, as Gina put it, houses that look like shelters in concentration camps-I find it reminiscent of Topaz.

Our 1st night here was freezing, a bipolar swing from the 80-s and 90-s that have characterized this place. Izzo Macharia, our guide, gathered the camp leaders and made sure that we had the protection of the community-I hope that protection will never have to be called upon. So, starting today we will begin collecting data on each camp member, in order to aid agencies like marafiki who are trying to help these people- and to ensure that child sponsorship programs can ensue in the future-not to mention microloan programs, which I love dearly. We will also set up a soccer program with the 10 balls and myriad cones and other supplies we have-education and recreation, a hopefully potent mix to mitigate suffering. More than anything we are helping to pave the way for more effective aid work at the camp- an important and pressing endeavor. It is beautiful here-all of the hard work and money getting here was worth it-may we do some good.

ps: i am writing with the aid of safaricom wireless internet at the vumilia idp camp. so much to say and not enough time/money to say it. I am getting hungry here-not a lot of food, this will be an adventure!!


thanks to my followers online!


love from the idp

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you guys! I really hope Jo Anne and I get to go next summer. It seems hard to see all the bad conditions around you, but I know that you guys will make a difference and change some things. Don't forget to get some pictures of kids so we can fundraise for them in the spring! Peace out Camerizzle

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comments!!! ZAch, we will take the pictures and gather their data!! thanks and you definitely need to come here

    ReplyDelete