Me

Me
So happy

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ace of Base and the Fleshless Woman

Friends,

Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to read about my new volunteer trip in Kenya. I am sitting at the Jumorie (sp?) estates computer lab, enjoying a light, post-rain breeze, the kind of breeze that defies the worst of the stoic sun. My trip to Kenya has been both hectic and relaxing thus far. The flight here was a mixed-bag, Delta was unpleasant-the seats are far too close together, but Kenya airways was charming as usual. I had plenty of room and the service was impeccable-I recommend them for any African visit. Gina and I arrived at Grace's house(Grace is our host) at around 10 pm. I couldn't sleep...why? Ernesto Jack "the Shotgun" Mcmillion, i.e. the rooster who saturates the Nairobi night with his incessant and abnormally early crowing. Add in fighting dogs, car alarms, the blaring sirens of 3 am Islamic prayer and the myriad sounds that permeate the house-the creeking, the poor acoustic and yes the lack of sleep.

It was around 5 am, the aforementioned discord brushed the sand off my eyes and had me reading "shackled continent" an interesting book describing the foundation for Africa's woes. I was reading a chapter about militia violence when Grace entered the room and slumped unto her couch, crying. "James was shot dead" she said. James N. was her brother, the head of Fadhilli Community, the volunteer organization I went with last time I was in the country. James was a man who I talked to on numerous occasions- a man who devoted his life to service. I asked her how it happened. She said a group of "thugs" demanded money from him and that he gave it to them... They still shot him to death. I found out later that he had tried to bargain with the robbers. The robbers were spooked by a nearby car alarm and by the overhead lights-they shot James and fled. My inside source, whom I won't name at this time, said that James was being "stubborn" and implored me to give up all my money immediately if ever robbed.

Grace and her mother sobbed on the couch. Grace had little to say, despite, "I'm confused". This country is confusing, is startling and wonderful, but like a gorgeous fruit hiding a rotten core, this country has its secrets, its devils. This morning, 26 or so hours after the murder, Grace is pleading with me to help her find a way to leave the country. She kept repeating, "I cant stay in this country." She applied for a U.S. greencard a few times, but has been denied. I wonder how many "Grace's" there are in Kenya and all through out Africa-women who are scared for the lives of their children, of their selves, who can't leave. Kenya is as safe as any African country could be, but that means we are not in kaysville any more.

Yesterday, a few hours after the murder, Gina and I went shopping at the Masai market. This is a place where the locals sell their hand crafted wares and harass you until you buy them. I bought a fantastic necklace and Africa map and...Gina's backpack was slashed open. Somebody was trying to steal money while we were there-an attempted robbery and murder in the 1st day-what a poor start to this trip.

What else to say...Kenya still mesmerises me-the beauty, the politeness of the locals, the clash between modernity and archaic tribalism. Dance clubs and large banks line the streets while millions live in squalid conditions-it is a fascinating place. I hope I can make some kind of difference. We are buying textbooks for the new school that will be built at the Vumilia IDP, readying our soccer gear for the soccer tournaments we will set up-hope we can help improve the lives of people like Grace-people who loose their families to currents of violence.

In lighter news, a volunteer named Monique has donated $6,000 of her own money to build the aforementioned school at Vumilia. This is great news! Few displaced children will ever get the chance to go to school or to go back to school and now they will be able to. We now need to supply the school with textbooks, desks, pens/pencil etc. If you want to contribute to our new school project, please follow the instructions below. Every donation will buy a book, pencil, or whatever you want it to buy.

1) www.paypal.com
2) Click "send money"
3)Enter my email address: weberstatestand@gmail.com
4) Enter your credit information

Thank you all.

Follow Gina's blog at: http://www.wsusignpost.com/blog-1.109/19.634362?article116=18.372890&page116=User


This is it for now-I'll update this daily-if I can.

Regards,

Cameron

2 comments:

  1. I've never met Grace, but let her know that she and her family are in my prayers! That is good news for Vumillia though- good luck with the rest of the trip man, I know you and Gina will make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visa process for anyone trying to get into the US is intimidating, if not impossible, at best. Our immigration policies ever frustrate me. It's certainly difficult explaining that when traveling. Countless individuals have approached me in my various travels wanting me to assist them in securing refugee status - assuming I, as an American, had access to some inner governmental services. . .alas, it's difficult to hear stories such as that and feel the unavoidable helplessness.

    Continue to be safe. Glad for the update!

    ReplyDelete